Wednesday, February 7, 2007

a little background

i've started this blog to track my progress.

since i was in sixth grade, i've been made fun of for my prominent, less-than-perfect lower jaw. i never really thought of it as a serious problem until i recently went in for my six month check-up with my dentist.

"wow, melissa, we need to get you to an orthodontist. unfortunately, your lower jaw has overdeveloped and you have a pretty bad crossbite. you'll probably need a combination of braces and surgery to fix this. oh, but you're a beautiful girl."

... What?? It's funny how i just now remember that little compliment he threw in there at the end of his speech. i suppose that's how it's been my whole life---i can only remember the "hey, jay leno"s and the "hey, chief chin"s and never the "oh my, you're so beautiful"s.

it's like i can feel my lower jaw down there, mocking me, showing itself off to the world. lately it's been hurting a lot too... it just won't let me forget it's there!!

today i had my ortho appointment, and i started crying. i pulled my hair back into a ponytail (which i hate doing, as it shows off my long profile) and let this man stare and poke at the part of myself that i've tried to hide my whole life. he told me that i don't need braces; i have "perfect teeth."

i just need surgery.

and just as soon as it had started, my appointment was over. after all, what else was there to discuss? i can't afford surgery, and according to the orthodontist, i have a "slim chance" of getting my insurance company to cover the costs (30,000 dollars plus???). I'm a little confused because our dental insurance is through Aetna, while medical is through Cigna. After looking at both insurance policies regarding orthognathic surgery online, it looks like Aetna offers more flexibility where this type of surgery is concerned. the ortho assistant told me to be a "squeaky wheel", because insurance companies hate people who continue to write and call and cause a fuss.

so all night i've been looking at surgery before and afters, and i can't even count the number of times i've started crying. when i look in the mirror, all i can see is my imperfect face. when my jaw pops and moves out of place and hurts all i can think about is my imperfect face. when i see a person with a beautiful jaw line, all i think of is my imperfect face. when i wear turtlenecks, when i smile, when i wear my hair up, when i'm in a photograph, when i eat, when i talk, when a person looks at me from the side...

all i can think is "hey, jay leno. ha. hah. ha."

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey Melissa, this is heartbreaking. There's gotta be a way out of it! Remember, it's not cosmetic surgery. It is medically necessary. Fight it!

I can completely relate to your experience. Ponytails. Turtlenecks. 16" necklaces that are too short and only bring unwanted attention to my jaw. Yep. In 6th grade, the boy I had a crush on called me "horse teeth" (but guess what, I'm TALLER than he is now, HA!!). I know exactly what you mean.

You DO have a beautiful face. And you're young. When I was 15 I knew something was wrong with my teeth/jaws and I wanted braces (did't know that wouldn't be enough). My parents flat out refused, thought I was crazy, and told me to simply suck my chin in. Can you believe it?

Fight it. Get your surgery. It's something you'll benefit from for the rest of your life - so the earlier you get it done, the better. You're entitled to it! Your surgeon should be able to make a good case for you, and if he/she can't - move on and find someone that will. Best of luck!

Maggie said...

Hey Melissa, I'm adding a link to your blog from mine. Let me know if it's not OK. :)

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Melissa,
I totally agree with Kristen. This is not a cosmetic thing I think you could have a really good case for medical necessity. Underbites mess up the alignment of your teeth causing undue wear and tear over time. Also it can cause serious jaw issues. Do you have any popping in your jaw, or jaw joint pain? Anything that would be classified as possible TMJ? I think if you went in saying your jaw has been aching, and your doctor would write a note saying it is medically necessary they would probably cover it.

I'm having mine covered because my retronathic jaw (class 11) overbite causes me to have sleep apnea at night. My doctors wrote a note saying to correct it I would need a surgically assisted rapid palate expansion, full orthodontics, and then lower jaw advancement. My insurance doesn't cover braces but it is going to pay for my surgery 100% minus my $1000.00 yearly contribution and has paid for my SARPE already. Don't give it...fight it!

Brandy

Mary said...

Hi Melissa, I've been seeing a lot of these Class III cases recently, its so interesting. I'm with Kristen and Brandy. My insurance policy specifically excludes orthognathic surgery but my doctor wrote a letter explaining why it was medically necessary. Have your doctor write about the medical aspects of it, not so much the dental aspects, and your insurance company should be able to make an exception. And your persisstence should pay off, just don't take no for an answer. Good luck! Mary
PS--I'm adding your blog to my links. The list keeps getting longer, its so exciting!

Marubuyo said...

Hi Melissa,

I have an underbite too and I need this surgery as well.. I almost cried when you were describing your childhood. That was me for a long time. Oh how I wish my insurance approves. I'm happy that such a surgery exists, otherwise I would be insecure about this for the rest of my life.